About Our Client
Our client, Well Made Strategy https://www.wellmadestrategy.com has been working in East Africa for the past ten years. They help organisations harness the power of good communications to influence policy change, prepare for and anticipate crises, inform the national discourse, build will for social reforms, nudge entire communities towards new norms and identify and influence key individuals.
They have developed a proven methodology to help partners across sectors, from security to financial inclusion, from education and agriculture to health and governance, to develop strong and clear communication strategic plans.
They are looking for a curious and inspirational associate who is keen to learn new skills and share them with others. Applicants will be judged on their willingness and ability to learn rather than their particular knowledge of strategic communications. They are committed to investing time and money to train the ideal candidate.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and assist with consulting services, overseeing programme delivery and execution of client initiatives.
- Evaluate, develop, and implement communications and other strategies, initiatives, and solutions, improving current infrastructure to meet objectives.
- Facilitate discussions with the client to elaborate on the areas of proposed improvements
- Define the problem concisely and hypothesise the proposed solution
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analysis to drive the proposed solution
- Develop and present plans to implement the recommended changes
- Act as the primary liaison with clients, addressing service needs, requests, and issues.
- Manage and support consulting teams and senior leadership, coordinating account activities and evaluating performance.
- Identify business opportunities and obtain accounts, assisting with bid management and contract development.
In this role you will:
Commit to a period of intensive training, shadowing a mentor and learning Well Made Strategy’s unique methodology:
- Show a desire to learn new skills and identify gaps where further training is needed
Independently review/create strategies for at least six partners by close of first twelve months:
- Independently provide strategic communications advice to partners that include academics, technical experts, ministry officials, business leaders and junior staff with varying levels of expertise
- Interact with clients, funders and donors at all levels of expertise and rank
- Review client communications and provide inclusive remedial advice in a timely, logical and easy to execute manner
- Support partners to develop realistic, implementable communications strategies that deliver measurable change
- Lead strategy processes in excellent spoken English (and other languages if possible)
- Write well-reasoned clear strategies and reports in excellent written English
Mentor at least six teams in the first year:
- Lead teams of diverse partners (international and national, skilled and unskilled, private and public sector) to successful and timely strategy execution
- Lead and present to meetings that include ministers and programme officers, junior staff and CEOs
- Identify client capacity strengths and gaps and design strategies to address them
- Mentor partners in strategic communications design
- Design and provide tailored communications training modules for clients
Bring in two new partners within the first year and contribute to bringing in four more:
- Strategically manage contacts and team communications to optimize all abilities, maximize work effectiveness and appeal to new clients
- Seek out partners in both public and private sectors who share Well Made Strategy social justice ethos
- Self-sign partners and use existing networks to seek new business
- Work with team to write proposals and react to sales leads
- Use social media and the full digital spectrum – from blog posts to podcasts – to seek work and market to clients
Improve Well Made Strategy’s and your own offering to clients:
- Engage in regular personal evaluation and improvement
- Communicate transparently with team for maximum self and team improvement
- Identify opportunities to productise and help to productise Well Made Strategy’s offering
- Identify areas of improvement for self and team
- Engage in additional training (self) where gaps and opportunities have been identified
Manage time and maintain professional behaviour at all times
- Well Made Strategy never misses a deadline and neither will the employee
- Use time tracking software to ensure profitable completion of assignments.
- Self-manage assignments in close cooperation with colleagues
- Close attention to detail is important in this position, the candidate must be able to work well on teams (the full Microsoft MS0365 Suite) and collaborate with partners to meet their needs.
- Natural leadership skills with the ability to guide, mentor, educate and support both partners and yourself
- Well-developed personal politics
- A good team player and a problem solver with the ability to recognise and mitigate internal conflicts and manage relationships with external partners and clients
- Innovative thinker with strong analytical skills, curiosity and an interest in expanding his/her knowledge in the areas relevant for Well Made Strategy’s success
- Desire to work independently and to travel broadly
- Experience working with technical experts or academic researchers
- Proven ability to deliver quality work on deadline
- Exemplary project management skills with a proven track-record of successful delivery
- Experience of juggling responsibilities and an understanding of logistical requirements
Desired Experience and Qualifications:
- Excellent verbal & written (English) communication skills
- Fluent Kiswahili
- Experience of living, working or studying abroad
- A minimum of five years’ experience of independently working in a dynamic environment
- Digitally excellent in a variety of programs and suites
- Experience in the private sector
- Experience working with development practitioners, academia and government
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline
An attractive salary is on offer dependent on skills, qualifications and experience.
To apply, follow the link http://by-appointment-africa.breezy.hr/p/40b7ea8a875c-strategic-communications-consultant , quoting the Job Reference in the subject header of your mail.