Introduction to Castor Vali
Castor Vali is a global-focused risk management company that specialises in providing security and risk management solutions to our clients including governments, multinational organisations and the energy sector in emerging and high-risk markets in Africa and beyond. With our head office in the UK, and nine regional offices in eastern, western and southern Africa, we provide the following services to our clients:
• Corporate Security
• Energy Sector Security
• Maritime Security
• Security Information Services
Castor Vali is looking for exceptional and experienced candidates to assist in managing its growing Security Information Services (SIS) department in Nairobi, Kenya. The SIS department comprises dedicated and experienced Africa-focused political and security risk analysts split across three regional hubs in South Africa, Kenya and Nigeria that monitor political, security and economic developments across all 54 states in Africa.
The types of security incidents and trends monitored, forecasted and analysed by our SIS team typically pertains to the following categories: Militancy/terrorism; Conflict, including ethnic/ inter-communal; Crime and banditry; Piracy and maritime crime; Civil unrest; Kidnapping; Political instability and violence; Disease updates; Infrastructure disruptions; and, Extreme weather events.
To this end, the SIS team produces subscription-based and ad hoc assessments to give our global clients across Africa a comprehensive understanding of the political and security environments in Africa, where they operate. Subscription products include dailies, alerts, weeklies, monthlies etc as part of country packages and ad hoc reports include products like Journey threat assessments, Security risk assessments, Intelligence briefings and pre-market entry assessments, among others.
The incumbent will provide assistant management support to the Head of SIS. Key roles and responsibilities will include:
- Editing and proofing our long-form subscription products, including but not limited to weekly reports and monthly reports on any location in Africa, but with a specific focus on East Africa.
- Case managing a variety of challenging and time-sensitive ad hoc projects across any location in Africa, including threat and security risk assessments. Responsibilities include everything around scoping, tasking, managing and delivering a high-quality product. Again, the majority of the focus will be on East Africa.
- The candidate will have assistant managerial responsibility for the analysts. The candidate will be expected to help with the general day-to-day management of the team as well as enhancing their professional development through feedback, training and performance reviews.
- The candidate should be well-versed in (East) African political and security risks to be able to lead to on (ad hoc) reporting when needed. This will include leading and/or contributing to threat and security risk assessments in a specific geographic area of expertise.
Product and business development
- The candidate will be called upon to assist in product and business development for SIS product. This will include improving our current product base, developing new products and assisting with business development across Africa. The candidate may be called upon to travel in this instance.
- In addition, the candidate will be called upon to assist with proposal writing and bidding on tenders across Africa.
Qualifications, Experience and Qualities
Applicants require the following competencies:
- At least five years’ experience in a relevant position within the political and country risk sector, or within a complementary sector, such as global consultancies.
- Demonstrable knowledge of pan-African security issues, particularly around security risks like terrorism, conflict, piracy, and kidnapping.
- Impeccable written and spoken English with a high standard in report editing and attention to detail.
- Ability to compile standard security risk products is imperative.
- Demonstrable experience managing a team and/or complex research projects;
- Excellent communication skills, and a keen interest in others’ professional development.
- Proven client engagement skills, either in the form of proposal writing or presentation skills.
- A postgraduate qualification and a strong academic record, averaging 65 percent and above in a relevant degree – such as political science, international relations, intelligence, criminal investigations, or strategic studies etc.
- Experience of living and/or working in Africa is preferred but not essential;
- A growing contact/network base that can be called upon to verify information/contribute to ad hoc work in Africa.
- Fluency in a non-English language is preferred but not essential; and,
- Applicants should have the ability to work with little supervision, to tight deadlines, be reliable, and be willing to work overtime when required to meet client requests.
Castor Vali operates a flexible working environment where candidates are required to be in the Nairobi office at least three days a week.
An attractive salary is on offer dependent on skills, qualifications, and experience.
To apply follow the link https://by-appointment-africa.breezy.hr/p/75cad56eff46-political-and-security-risk-manager-africa , quoting the Job Reference in the subject of your email.