Our client spearheads Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation in Kenya. They have established a successful model that uses the emerging marketplace for REDD+ Carbon Offsets to protect threatened forests, wildlife, and communities.
They are looking for a professional Operations Manager to plan, direct and coordinate company’s operations in Kenya. You will be responsible for improving performance, productivity, efficiency and profitability through the implementation of effective methods and strategies. You will also assist to manage a wide variety of departments, and staff, within the organisation. The position reports to the Country Director, Kenya.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the logistical planning, procurement, preparing budget & reports and assisting with proposal writing.
- Liaise with Ranch owners and Kenya Wildlife Service, and attend meetings relevant to Company’s projects.
- Ensure proper procedures and protocols are followed and the rangers’ equipment and bases are in good order
- Supervise and oversee vehicles, machinery, water pumps and solar systems, and ensure regular scheduled services, maintenance and replacement where necessary.
- Supervise and plan the operations of the main workshops including the regular servicing of all vehicles and machinery, and ensure all inspection certificates, and insurance covers are up to date.
- Work within a budget to repair, or replace, certain prioritised equipment and infrastructure to be decided upon monthly.
- Improve the control and efficiency of all vehicles & machinery.
- Put in place efficient systems for purchase, storage and usage of spare parts.
- Control expenditure and the usage of spare parts and fuel.
- Establish a storage system and manage staff to ensure control and accurate accountability.
- Oversee procurement, in conjunction with the Workshop Manager, ensuring value for money for purchases are made.
- Supervise repairs and maintenance of the tourist facilities, and other developments and buildings belonging to the company
Community and Donor Projects
- Attend meetings with the Community Department to assess community projects.
- Finalise and check bills of quantities and costings for community projects.
- Obtain relevant permissions for community projects to go ahead.
- Procurement of construction materials.
- Oversight of community construction projects to ensure they are of a high standard and finished on time.
- Write reports and updates to donors
- Assist Human Resources Department where needed, in collaboration with the Country Director.
- Check-off and approve overtimes
Agroforestry and Eco-charcoal
- Oversee various activities within these two projects with the respective managers.
- Assist with budgeting and procurement.
- Oversee new construction projects and expansions.
- Handle and supervise of cash floats and returns from all departments.
- Oversee invoicing and receipts from purchasing in all departments.
- Assist with project budgets and costings
Biomass Plot Sampling
- Oversee logistics, transport, and budgeting.
- Create sampling schedules, and ensure that they are kept to.
- Ensure correct sampling protocols are adhered to.
- Ensure samples are sent for analysis on time, and results returned in a timely manner.
- Assist with monitoring deforestation.
In conjunction with Factory Manager, Conservation Office Manager and Head of Biodiversity & Monitoring you will;
- Ensure safety equipment is regularly serviced, and used as needed.
- Oversee construction or developments within the EPZ.
- Oversee maintenance of the EPZ buildings, fittings and equipment.
- Ensure the research centre is well maintained
- Assist with liaising with landowners, local CBOs and Chiefs.
- Assist with managing project visitors.
- Ensure business permits, insurances, and certificates are up to date.
- A minimum of 5 years working experience in general management and operations in remote locations within East Africa
- Self-driven individuals with stamina and a mentality to produce professional standards in a challenging remote environment
- Social and open minded individuals with a great personality
- Possess good people management skills and are able to lead a strong diverse workforce with confidence dealing with larger groups of local staff, or be able to fairly quickly
- Very comfortable with a remote bush location. Basic amenities are fine, but no access to children schooling nearby
- Knowledge in maintenance and repairs
- Excellent communication skills both oral and report writing (Swahili )
- Ideally the candidate would have an interest in wildlife conservation
- Knowledge of carbon projects, in particular REDD+ an advantage but not a must
- Must be able to follow clear instructions
An attractive salary is on offer dependent on skills, qualifications and experience.
All documentation is to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the Job Reference in the subject header of your mail.