Our client provides fully fledged operations of underwriting general insurance services to individual and corporate clients in East Africa.
They are looking for a dynamic Finance and Investment Manager to head their Finance department. The Finance & Investment Manager’s role will be to effectively manage the company’s investment portfolio (70%) as well as oversee the company’s Finance Department (30%).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop Manage the company’s investment portfolios and advise the Board on new investment opportunities.
- Monitor and regular update deposit accounts, reconcile investment accounts, negotiate bank rates, process roll-overs, monitor Government Securities, maintain and monitor joint ventures.
- Regularly meet with investment analysts, researching companies, analyzing financial briefings, making informed financial recommendations and decisions.
- Obtaining daily local and international economy information, current financial news and financial markets status.
- Assessing and interpreting complicated financial information.
- Develop and implement robust accounting systems that are embedded with appropriate controls that help to safeguard the company’s assets and ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and annual reporting.
- Establish and monitor the implementation of an effective and robust treasury management system that secures company funds whilst maximizing profitability and facilitating effective cash flow management and compliance with the Insurance Act.
- In charge of the preparation of annual budgets and long-term business plans, monitor and ensure that all departments and units comply with budgetary provisions.
- Manage the company’s cash flows to meet all liabilities as they fall due. This will include effective asset and liability management to match the maturity profiles of assets and liabilities. Manage the company’s credit policy and effective follow up of debts.
- Liaise with both Internal and External auditors and management on all audit activities of the company.
- Train, coach and supervise staff.
- Ensure compliance with statutory provisions in respect to financial reporting, IRA licensing taxation, other statutory payments and the Insurance Act.
- Ensure all the necessary returns are filed with the Insurance Regulatory and Revenue Authorities.
- Ensure quarterly reinsurance accounts are prepared.
- Attend quarterly Board Committee meetings.
- Develop, review and implement finance policies.
- Advise the Management and Board on all the financial and investment matters.
Qualifications and Experience
- Portfolio investment management experience.
- Bachelor of Commerce – Accounting or Finance.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPAK) and CPS (K) an advantage.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in the Financial Services sector, (preferably within the insurance sector).
- A minimum of 7 years’ portfolio investment management experience.
Key Copmetences and Skills
- Be up to speed with current investment opportunities, including but not limited to property, government securities, the stock exchange and joint venture opportunities.
- Effective leadership qualities.
- Good time management and must be a very strong communicator.
- Assertiveness and self-driven.
- Honest, reliable, dependable and ethical.
- Good interpersonal skills, confident, determined.
- Sound analytical and investment skills, keen interest in and understanding of financial markets.
- Relationship builder, team working skills are key.
- Speed and accuracy.
- Customer service orientation – focused towards internal and external customer needs.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage time efficiently.
- Ability to solve problems and make effective decisions.
- Generally accepted accounting principles knowledge.
- Good knowledge of the legislation affecting insurance industry.
- Good numerical and IT skills.
Remuneration and Benefits
An attractive salary is on offer dependent on skills, experience and qualifications
All documentation is to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.